Vice President Finance
San Diego Metropolitan Area
About Telesis Bio:
Telesis Bio is empowering researchers to accelerate the creation of novel synthetic biology solutions to address some of humanity’s greatest challenges. With our breakthrough automation solutions for biological synthesis and expertise in DNA biology, we enable rapid, accurate, and reproducible writing of DNA and mRNA for wide-ranging biological applications.
Around the world, innovators are leveraging Telesis Bio’s technology to overcome current bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows and advance the discovery of cutting-edge solutions for health and technology. We are proud of our growing collaborations with partners that include premier academic research institutions, emerging start-ups to nearly all of the Top 25 Biopharma companies. Telesis Bio is honored to play a part in several pioneering advances of our customers and collaborators ranging from novel infectious disease vaccines, precision immunotherapy for cancer and antibody therapeutics to creation of engineered meat substitutes and sustainable cellular agricultural products.
Summary of Role:
The Vice President of Finance will drive strategic accounting and finance initiatives while also providing insights and guidance to executive management. A successful candidate will have an enthusiastic entrepreneurial work ethic. This role will provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, debt and equity financing, and budget management functions and ensure company accounting procedures and reporting conform to generally accepted accounting principles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic leadership and oversight over general ledger accounting (monthly closings, AP, AR, fixed assets, payroll), managerial reporting, commercial banking, tax, and finance
- Ownership of management financial reporting including Board decks, annual budget, and weekly and monthly business reviews
- Build quarterly Board books, ad hoc presentations, partner on strategic projects. including economic analysis of strategic partnership deals
- Perform ad-hoc/deep-dive analysis in support of management decision making
- Recommend actions by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses
- Direct financing strategies, analysis, forecasting and budget management
- Manage the preparation of all financial reports
- Work with department leaders to develop five year business plans
- Maintains strong working relationships with external entities to include independent auditors, vendors, and similar parties
- Effectively interfaces with Board members, as requested
- Along with IT, responsible for global financial systems
- All other duties as assigned or necessary
- 10-15+ years in accounting, in a combination of corporate accounting and/or an external auditing firm
- 5-10 years’ experience in a mid to senior level finance or accounting position
- Certified Public Accountant
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
- Excellent leadership skills, with a track record of building, leading, and inspiring high-performing teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly adaptable and independent
- Thrive in a start-up, rapidly growing company environment
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, great computer skills
- Take initiative and have a growth mindset
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics or similar field of study
- Master’s Degree preferred but not required
- As a critical and essential role, the candidate must be willing and able to travel to the San Diego, CA office to report to work. We have protocols in place to provide a safe, socially distanced work environment.
Job type: FULL_TIME
Experience: 6 Year