Senior Manufacturing Engineer
San Diego Metropolitan Area
Summary of Role:
This position will support transition to manufacturing for new life science instrumentation designed for synthetic biology. The role will require interfacing with mechanical, electrical, and system engineers to characterize the operational parameters of the automated systems and to design tools, fixtures, test and data collection equipment to ensure proper assembly, performance, and calibration of subsystems and the final assembly. System technologies include fluidics, micro-fluidics, motorized mechanisms, thermal control modules, optics, and enclosure components. Role is responsible for developing and maintaining all related documentation (CAD, BOMs, SOPs) needed for transitioning designs into manufacturing.
This candidate will be involved in the entire product lifecycle from developing breadboards and prototypes, verification, release to manufacturing, validation, and to assist with sustaining support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use Solidworks to design and implement manufacturing assembly and test fixtures and related equipment. Develop prototypes of proposed designs, rapid prototype, and test for performance. Using statistical techniques, develops, validates, and implements manufacturing equipment, fixtures, processes. Writes reports to support design validation activities. Release designs and train users.
- Use knowledge of mechanics, optics, laser/imaging, electrical/electronics to troubleshoot manufacturing process and equipment
- Work with design engineers to ensure manufacturability and testability of new products (DFM/DFT). Review CAD design and collaborate to ensure proper clearances and fitment.
- Research, propose, and implement improvements in quality, yield or cost internally and through sub-contractors and suppliers. Update models, release via ECO, and implement.
- Use lean manufacturing and engineering principles to design and layout production lines, work cells, manufacturing stations, and other production related activities
- Develop labor standards and implement in the business system
- Construct and execute experiments (including DOE and Gage R & R) to address yield, quality and equipment issues and drive solutions into a production environment. Identify measurement tools and protocols. Coordinate to collect and analyze data.
- Provide Operations and suppliers with technical support for change implementation activities. Identify suitable alternate parts/designs, validate, and implement via ECO
- Communicate effectively with engineers, scientists, other key stakeholders
- Apply leadership skills to effect process changes in a team environment
- Train and mentor lesser skilled engineers and staff
- All other duties as assigned or necessary.
- Requires a minimum of 8 years relevant experience
- Working knowledge of mechanical engineering theory and operations, metrology, and documentation required
- 5+ years solid experience with Solidworks 3D CAD design software.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and tolerancing – machining, sheet metal fabrication, machining, urethane casting, pressure forming, 3D printing, and injection molding
- Background with ANSI 3D modeling and drafting practices required
- Experience with PCBAs, precision motor/encoders and other motion control a plus
- Experience developing medical or laboratory instrumentation is highly desired
- Strong communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders is essential, along with a comprehensive analytical skillset
- Familiarity with GMP manufacturing requirements preferred
- Demonstrated track record of taking a design from concept to production.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or related field
- Hands-on training with assembly and testing of precision mechanical and thermal control systems is required.
Job type: FULL_TIME
Experience: 4 Year