Process Development Engineer
San Diego Metropolitan Area
The Process Development Engineer will be responsible for optimization of oligonucleotide synthesis system and workflow. The role will be responsible for qualifying new synthesis instruments and optimizing system parameters to achieve specified performance requirements. The position will interact with engineering and manufacturing personnel to ensure reliable and consistent performance of the system. The position will also be responsible for feedback of design improvements to engineering when necessary to address design issues. The role interfaces with both internal and external engineering resources. Ultimately, this role will be responsible for the transition of the synthesis system into manufacturing and will establish protocols and procedures for operation and QC of the system and output.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform various chemical related wet lab experiments, electro-mechanical, and software troubleshooting.
- Transfer oligonucleotide synthesis and processing setup and process. development documentation into workable manufacturing procedures.
- Provide input and design solutions to improve instrument usage and solve problematic areas of the instrument.
- Refine software scripting routines to improve system performance.
- Perform periodic reports and reviews of projects as needed. Recommend and implement solutions.
- Liaison with internal resources in the area of chemistry to co-develop solutions related to instrumentation functionality.
- Oversee the testing of assembled instruments and analyze test results and develop strategies to improve performance, reliability and reduce cost. Develop and produce logs, procedures and reports on operational techniques and testing methods and results.
- Interface with outside vendors and material suppliers as well as other consultants and contacts as required to resolve issues.
- May directly supervise or indirectly guide technicians and customer service personnel.
- Participate in the process transfer to manufacturing.
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Required and preferred Qualifications:
- Work independently with minimum supervision, maintain good control over current project, with can-do attitude.
- Background in development and operation of chemical -related instrumentation is required.
- In-depth knowledge of general chemistry, fluidics, data analysis and documentation required.
- familiarity with fluidics and optimizing processes relating to oligonucleotide synthesis, processing and characterization is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and hand on experience on analytical instruments: HPLC, UHPLC, LC- MS, UV-Vis, for oligonucleotide compounds characterization are highly desirable.
- Experience with experiment management and traceability is required.
- Experience working with local and remote teams.
- Take initiative and have a growth mindset.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, great computer skills.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Bio-Medical Engineer, chemistry or related field, or the equivalent knowledge and experience required.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years relevant industrial work experience with a M.S. degree; at least 5 years work experience with a B.S. degree.
- Under standard working conditions, this position is based in our San Diego, CA office.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- As a critical and essential role, the candidate must be willing and able to travel to the San Diego, CA office to report to work. We have protocols in place to provide a safe, socially distanced work environment.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds required.
Job type: FULL_TIME
Experience: 4 Year